St. Louis Retaliation Lawyer
Retaliation occurs when an employer terminates or adversely affects one’s employment due to that employee’s activity within a protected classification. Essentially, an employer cannot punish an employee for engaging in a legally protected activity. Often, retaliation stems from things such as:
- Complaining to or participating with a government agency (OSHA, EEOC, etc.);
- Workplace injuries;
- Leave under authority of legislation (FMLA, ADA, etc.);
- Reporting incidents to HR;
- Being the victim of discrimination.
In order to build a retaliation case, evidence is generally gathered from many sources. Examples of retaliatory treatment may include:
- Being excluded from work activity and decisions by supervisors and management;
- Being verbally abused by supervisors or management;
- Job loss;
- Receiving fewer assignments;
- Being passed up for a raise or promotion;
- Receiving a pay cut or a demotion;
- Being relocated or reassigned;
- Physical harm to personal property.
If you have experienced any of this unlawful treatment, contact a retaliation attorney at Schaeffer Law.